Monday, June 11, 2007

Like a Child...or Puppy


Matthew 19:14
"But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”

I watched my young puppies play in the yard today. They bounced around joyfully while exploring their "world". They chewed on sticks, played "tag", dug holes, and yes, chased a few newly hatched 17 year cicadas (ICK!!). They had no cares or worries, they had no agenda or anywhere they had to be, they were just simply enjoying life. Watching the puppies play brought a smile to my face and joy to my heart. I looked on with pride and delighted over them with thoughts of, "Those are my kids, look how happy they are...aren't they cute??!!"

We're adults now. We're all grown up. Life isn't always just fun and games in the backyard. We have responsibilities. We have places to be, people to see, and things to get done. Life is busy. Nevertheless, sometimes I think we pack life so full of "things to do" that we miss out on just simply enjoying life. Yes, God is pleased when we show ourselves responsible and hard working. But, I think sometimes He reflects back to when we were children, when we had few cares or worries, when we had no agenda or anywhere we had to be, when we marveled and played in His creation. He watched us then and we brought a smile to His face and joy to His heart. He looked on with pride and delighted over us with thoughts of "Those are my kids, look how happy they are...aren't they cute??!!"

No matter how old we get, God doesn't want us to lose that childhood zeal and love of life. He doesn't want us so busy with life that we have no life. Jesus said "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly" (John 10:10). MAKE time to enjoy the simple pleasures of life, the wonders of His glorious creation. Today I did just that. I stood on a bench and spent 20 minutes picking and eating unwashed mulberries off an old tree in the yard....just as I would have done as a child (only I would have climbed the tree instead!). I thought about my Good Master...and I have a feeling He thought about me too....and smiled, with joy in His heart.

In Christ and covered in dog hair,

Debbie Owczarzak

No comments: